Hong Kong, October 31, 2005 – Cleverlearn Ltd., a leading global provider of English learning solutions, announces that it has entered into a licensing agreement with Oxford University Press (OUP) to release Oxford dictionaries through Clicktionary’s premium packages. Clicktionary is one-click translation and dictionary software.
With these new state-of-the-art offerings, Clicktionary users across the globe will now have access to the most reliable and up-to-date definitions and translations on their PC screens with better and faster results through Oxford’s best-selling dictionaries.
Nine Oxford University Press dictionaries will be available soon through Clicktionary:
• Recognized as the foremost single-volume authority on the English language, the Oxford Dictionary of English focuses on English as it is used today, informed by up-to-date evidence and the latest research from Oxford’s unique and extensive English language research programme, including the Oxford English Corpus.
• Commended by international language professionals for its comprehensive coverage and accuracy, the Oxford-Duden German Dictionary contains in-depth coverage of all the latest vocabulary from all areas of life today, plus material on aspects of life and culture in the German- and English-speaking worlds.
• The Oxford-River Books English-Thai Dictionary is the first English-Thai dictionary of its kind. Offering more than 110,000 words and phrases, and 120,000 translations, this premium dictionary captures the idiomatic, colloquial, spoken, and written character of English and Thai. The extensive and up-to-date wordlist includes terminology from such diverse fields as business and finance, culture and sport, and computing and IT.
• Acclaimed by language experts the world over, the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary is a pioneer in modern bilingual lexicography and the first English-French dictionary to be compiled based on the statistical evidence of vast electronic databanks of real language, both written and spoken. This ensures that it gives a completely accurate picture of how French and English are used today.
• Covering over 300,000 words and phrases and more than 500,000 translations, the Oxford Spanish Dictionary provides the richest coverage of Spanish from around the world, with entries from all aspects of life today—business, IT, science, the media, the environment, the Internet, and social life.
• The Concise Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary provides authoritative coverage of over 175,000 words and phrases, and 290,000 translations, making it the most authoritative concise Italian dictionary available.
• Designed to give users a thorough introduction to Japanese, the Oxford Starter Japanese Dictionary covers all the essential vocabulary learners need in their first years of study. This innovative two-way Japanese-English English-Japanese dictionary also gives unique guidance to the grammar and usage of the language.
• The Oxford Russian Dictionary is acclaimed as the most comprehensive Russian dictionary available, covering over 180,000 words and phrases, and 290,000 translations. This top-of-the-range Russian-English English-Russian dictionary covers subject areas ranging from the general vocabulary of everyday life to specialist terminology from business, the media, computing, medicine, and science.
• The Oxford Portuguese Minidictionary covers more than 100,000 words, phrases, and translations – all the core vocabulary of Portuguese and English, with special emphasis on Brazilian Portuguese. This essential Portuguese-English English-Portuguese dictionary also contains detailed grammar guidance in its entries.
“Oxford University Press is pleased to be in partnership with Cleverlearn to bring the world’s most authoritative dictionaries to thousands of Clicktionary users around the world. We believe that Clicktionary is a reliable translation tool, equipped with user-friendly features that will make our comprehensive content more accessible to even more people,” says Ann Lawson, OUP Senior Rights Manager.
“We, at Cleverlearn, are very much honoured for this licensing pact with Oxford. This means more value to us as well as to our thousands of users, who will now have easier access to first-rate translation content we can offer them,” says Tobias Koenig, Cleverlearn Product Development Head.
About Oxford University Press
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education in its worldwide publishing. The preparation of dictionaries and reference books, of all types and for all ages, has been a central part of its activities for more than 100 years. Please see www.oup.com for more details.
Clicktionary is a leading click-easy desktop translation tool. Equipped with power-packed features, Clicktionary offers faster translation lookup and better and more accurate translation results ideal for document reading and writing, whether for personal or corporate use. Clicktionary also helps promote word retention by providing powerful vocabulary-building features. Now supporting more major languages in the world, Clicktionary is available to both individual and corporate users. For additional information, visit www.cleverlearn.com/en/clicktionary.jsp.
Founded in 1999 in Santa Monica, California, USA, Cleverlearn Ltd. is a leading provider of English learning solutions focused on addressing the problems that today’s professionals have to hurdle in picking up English as a second language. Cleverlearn leverages the widespread use of technology in modern everyday life by working across multiple platforms - from web to mobiles to PDAs - to deliver and reinforce English instruction. The company is headquartered in Hong Kong to be closer to the growing Asian markets, while it continues to serve customers worldwide with its cutting-edge learning tools and services. For more information on the company, visit www.cleverlearn.com.